ASFC vs Forest Green Rovers

League Two
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Two late goals to beat Forest Green Rovers sent Stanley three points clear at the top of League Two to continue their automatic promotion push.

Callum Johnson’s first senior goal for the club gave the Reds the lead, before Jordan Clark’s brilliant solo effort late in the second half and Kayden Jackson’s audacious chip shot in injury time secured all three points for the Reds..

Reuben Reid had levelled for the visitors just after the hour mark, but Stanley fought back to record an eighth home win in a row and go three points clear at the top of the table.

Just three minutes had been played when Johnson found plenty of space in the six-yard box, tapping home past Brad Collins following some poor Rovers defending after McConville whipped in a freekick.

Dan Wishart’s deflected shot could then have caught out Aaron Chapman in goal, but the Stanley ‘keeper was alert to comfortably deal with the effort.

John Coleman’s side were put under more pressure after 20 minutes, before going on the attack again with half hour played, only to be frustrated by some resolute defending by the visitors.

Mark Hughes almost doubled Stanley’s lead with 4 minutes left of the first half, meeting McConville’s corner but heading the ball just wide.

The second half picked up where the first left off, the game remaining balanced despite Stanley’s lead.

After 53 minutes, McConville saw his in-swinging corner nearly catch out Collins as the wind helped curve the ball towards the near post.

Reuben Reid then equalised for thew visitors in the 65th minute following a goalmouth scramble, the ball pinging around the penalty area before the striker forced his shot home.

The Reds looked to quickly restore their lead but were once again held at bay by the Rovers defence.

But with eight minutes of normal time to play, Clark received the ball on the halfway line, turned and made a brilliant solo run past several Rovers players before firing low past Collins to give Stanley the lead.

Deep in added time, Jackson lobbed the advancing Collins from 25 yards out to ensure all three points and another home victory for John Coleman’s side.