Morecambe vs ASFC

League Two
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Shay McCartan scored a double to give Stanley back the bragging rights against Lancashire rivals Morecambe – and leapfrog them in the table into 14th spot.

Stanley enjoyed a 10-year unbeaten league run against the Shrimps, going back to 2006, but Jim Bentley’s side had won two and drawn one of the last three league clashes between the sides.

However a McCartan double at the Globe Arena – to take his tally to seven for the season – meant Stanley extended their unbeaten run to nine games this season although they did have to survive a nervy finale.

The visitors almost had a dream start when Noor Husin, in for the suspended Scott Brown, hit the inside of the post with a shot after four minutes but the ball bounced out to safety.

McCartan fired just wide as Stanley started strongly and Sean McConville also clipped just over the bar in the opening 15 minutes.

Morecambe launched sporadic attacks without testing Marek Rodak but it was Stanley who continued to dominate.

McConville chipped narrowly off-target and McCartan blasted inches over on a quick breakaway.

The Reds were bossing proceedings and they won a free kick on the stroke of half-time in McCartan territory – and the frontman made no mistake firing home from 20 yards.

The Shrimps had the ball in the net just after the restart but the whistle had already blown for off-side and it was Stanley who continued to force the pace.

Jim Bentley made a double substitution on 55 minutes with ex-Reds Peter Murphy and Lee Molyneux replaced by Paul Mullin and Andrew Fleming.

The Shrimps did then enjoy more pressure with a Dean Winnard chip in just missing the head of Kevin Ellison on the hour mark.

However, as Morecambe were pressing, Alex Whitmore lost the ball in the centre circle on 66 minutes and McCartan nipped in and charged forward, finishing superbly past Barry Roche – his sixth goal in nine games.

Rodak didn’t have a save to make until the 75th minute when he turned Ellison’s strike around the post- and then it was all Morecambe.

The home side got one back on 82 minutes when Aaron Wildig ran onto the ball from Fleming in the area and blasted it past Rodak.

And the Slovakian keeper then denied the Shrimps an equaliser by superbly tipping over a Michael Rose strike.

It was a nervous end to the game with five minutes of added time but Stanley held on for three points.