ASFC vs Wycombe Wanderers

League Two
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Matty Pearson headed home an equaliser for Stanley as Ade Akinfenwa once again haunted the Reds.

Sean Clare had scored his first league goal to put the Reds ahead before Akinfenwa – who has now scored the last three times he has faced Stanley  – celebrated a double in two minutes.

But defender Pearson made sure the Reds got at least got a point and Jordan Clark hit the woodwork for Stanley.

The Reds started well with Clare a threat on the right wing, fizzing in a couple of dangerous crosses.

Pearson had an effort blocked while Chairboys keeper Jamal Blackman parried away a Clark effort on 18 minutes.

Wycombe’s first shot fell to Will de Havilland but his header, from a Paris Cowan-Hall ball in on 22 minutes, rolled into the arms of Marek Rodak.

Stanley continued to create the better chances. Clare appealed for a penalty after he ran onto a long ball upfield from Rodak and was tackled on the edge of the area but referee Mark Brown wasn’t having any of it.

Meanwhile defender Pearson continued to get into the Wycombe box and he fired narrowly wide on 27 minutes while Sheffield Wednesday loanee Clare wasn’t far off with an 18 yard effort.

Stanley took the lead in injury time in the first half when a Clark corner found Clare whose header went in off the underside of the bar – his first league goal.

The Reds had kept the powerful Akinfenwa quiet in the first half  but they couldn’t after the break and on 56 minutes he rose to meet Michael Harriman’s cross to head home the equaliser.

And two minutes later ex-Red Joe Jacobson’s throw found Akinfenwa who chested the ball down, turned and slid the ball into the net to put Wycombe ahead.

However Stanley came back on 63 minutes when Clark’s free kick to the far post found the jumping Pearson and he headed home to make it 2-2.

The game then went from end to end as both sides looked for the winner and Stanley came close with a finger-tip save from Blackman denying Mark Hughes and then Clark’s delicate chip came off the woodwork.

The Reds had to survive a couple of goalmouth scrambles in an entertaining game with both sides sharing the spoils.