Doncaster Rovers vs ASFC

League Two
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Jonny Edwards headed home his first Stanley goal to secure a hard-earned point against league leaders Doncaster.

Rovers haven’t lost at home this season but went behind in the fourth minute to Shay McCartan’s solo effort.

Doncaster came back through Tommy Rowe and John Marquis and, with nine minutes left, Hull loanee Edwards headed the ball in almost on the line to rescue a point for the Reds.

Stanley have taken four points off promotion-chasing Rovers in this campaign.

The Reds got off to a dream start when McCartan picked up the ball just inside his own half and raced forward into the Doncaster area before slotting the ball into the far corner of the net.

Doncaster thought they had equalised on 14 minutes when a James Coppinger cross with deflected and spun towards goal with Marek Rodak scooping it out from under the bar – Rovers appealing it had crossed the line.

The home side had another chance when striker Alfie May got the ball unmarked in the six yard box but his goalbound effort was superbly blocked by Mark Hughes.

Doncaster were pressing and they got back on level terms on 20 minutes when Rodak couldn’t keep hold of Rowe’s initial shot and it came straight back out to the frontman who fired home.

And it needed a superb one-handed save by the grounded Rodak to stop Coppinger finding a second for Rovers after a free-flowing move from the home side.

The game then evened out with Stanley’s Scott Brown having the next chance on 29 minutes, his 20 yard effort was narrowly over the bar while Sean Clare’s long range effort was comfortable for keeper Ian Lawlor.

It was end-to-end with a controversial free kick by Coppinger not far off the top corner while a MCartan free kick was punched into the air by Lawlor with Stanley appealing for a penalty for a foul on Billy Kee but the free kick was given to Doncaster.

The home side then appealed for a spot kick of their own on the stroke of half-time for what they saw as a Harvey Rodgers push on Coppinger but referee Rob Lewis  waved away the appeals.

Noor Husin came on for Clare at half-time and, while Doncaster pressed, the first real chance fell to Stanley with McCartan forcing a strong save out of Lawlor on 55 minutes.

However, with Accrington pressing, Doncaster broke on 58 minutes with the ball coming to Marquis at the edge of the area and he had the time to fire past Rodak to put the league leaders ahead.

Stanley came close to equalising on 64 minutes when Rommy Boco’s shot/cross crashed off the underside of the crossbar with Husin following up, firing over the bar.

Edwards replaced Scott Brown on 65 minutes with Brayden Shaw also coming on for Boco.

Chances were limited for both sides with Coppinger firing wide and Rovers sub Andy Williams heading inches wide with his first touch.

However, Stanley celebrated the equaliser on 81 minutes when Matty Pearson flicked on a Jordan Clark free kick with Edwards scoring his first Stanley goal.

Both sides had penalty appeals in the final minutes as both went for the winner in an exciting finale which ended all-square.