ASFC vs Exeter City

League Two
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

 Stanley counted the cost of missed chances as they slipped to a 2-1 home defeat to Exeter City.

After dominating a goalless first half, the Reds trailed to a Ryan Harley rocket.

Arron Davies got John Coleman’s side back into it with a quick equaliser.

But a third goal in six minutes went Exeter’s way, with Jake Taylor volleying home what proved to be the winner.

Stanley bossed the first half, against a side who had not picked up a point in their first three League Two games.

Sean McConville was particularly prominent in the early chances, cutting in from the left to have a shot blocked on the edge of the box.

Billy Kee then had a free kick deflected for a corner, from which Matty Pearson’s header was claimed by goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik.

Seamus Conneely was unlucky not to score as McConville turned provider with a corner out to the Reds captain, who narrowly missed the target.

Stanley had Exeter pinned in to their own half for the most part, but keeper Aaron Chapman had to recover a nervy moment at the back following a mistake by Janoi Donacien to stop the Grecians from capitalising.

Exeter were then awarded a controversial free kick, despite Conneely appearing to make contact with the ball in a challenge 25 yards out. So there was relief when Robbie Simpson’s free kick was deflected off the wall and over the bar.

But it was not long before Stanley put the pressure on again.

McConville was proving to be a menace to the Exeter defence, having a shot deflected for a corner following good work by Jordan Clark and O’Sullivan in the build-up.

Exeter struggled to clear their lines and Clark narrowly missed the target with a 25-yard right-footed effort.

Conneely then glanced a header over from Davies’ cross, before Davies himself had a shot cleared off the line by left back Craig Woodman in a strong end to the first half.

O’Sullivan should have put the Reds in front with arguably the best chance on the stroke of half-time. But after Clark drove forward to find the winger in space, he could only fire straight at Olejnik.

Stanley faced an improved Exeter side after the break, with Chapman called into action soon after the re-start to push away Lloyd James’ free kick.

But by the hour mark Stanley still had 13 shots to Exeter’s five.

The Reds were made to pay for their profligacy in the 66th minute when Harley received the ball from Ollie Watkins and fired a fierce shot past Chapman.

It was not long until Coleman’s men were back on level terms, with Davies slotting home from Janoi Donacien’s cross.

But Taylor scored the winner from Simpson’s cross, after firing himself unmarked to volley past Chapman.