Stanley beat a battling Hyde United side 3-0, as John Coleman’s outfit continued their pre-season preparations ahead of the new League One season.

It took until the second half to break the host’s determined defence down, Erico Sousa firing home in the 55th minute after a clever one-two with Kayden Jackson.

Six minutes later, Sam Finley scored his first goal for the club after finding space in the area to shoot past goalkeeper Peter Crook and double the Reds’ lead.

Sousa then smashed home a volley in the 75th minute to bag his second of the game. Jackson’s initial shot was saved by Crook, into the path of Sousa, who promptly fired the ball into the back of the net.

Manager Coleman named a strong starting XI against the Tigers, with Will Wood making his first start for Stanley at Ewen Fields.

With the Reds having played Blackburn Rovers U23s in a behind-closed-doors friendly earlier in the day, members of Stanley’s youth set-up were named on the substitute’s bench.

The Reds had the best chances in the game’s opening stages, Sousa testing Crook after just four minutes, but his powerful effort was turned behind for a corner.

Crook was tested again after quarter of an hour. Sean McConville whipped a corner towards the back post, Ross Sykes headed the ball goalward and with the ball looking to be creeping under the crossbar, the ‘keeper did well to turn it over.

The best chance of the half fell to the hosts just before the half-hour mark.

Gavin Rothery launched a free kick over the wall and, with Toby Savin beaten, the ball cannoned off the inside of the post and away to safety.

The remainder of the half was a scrappy affair with both goalkeepers dealing with the few chances that came their way.

The second half began in much the same way that the first half had ended. Stanley were frustrated in their attempts to go forward by a hard-working Hyde unit.

McConville went over in the penalty area in the 50th minute, but referee Ollie Yates had no hesitation in telling the winger to get to his feet.

Five minutes later, Stanley broke the deadlock after some intricate passing play on the edge of the area. Jackson and Sousa linking up for the pacey winger to put Stanley ahead.

Finley then scored his first goal for the club since joining the Reds in the summer, slotting the ball to the ‘keeper‘s left just after the hour mark.

Sousa then bagged his second, and Stanley’s third, pouncing on a lose ball after Jackson’s effort was saved to score and secure Stanley’s second win of the pre-season.


Stanley starting XI: Savin, Rodgers, Wood, Trialist, Sykes, Nolan, Clark, Finley, Jackson, Sousa, McConville

Stanley subs (all used): Isherwood, Lynch, O’Neill, Perritt, Shah