Billy Kee rescued a hard earned point from the penalty spot as Stanley drew 1-1 with Barnet at the Hive Stadium.

The Reds fell behind in the 18th minute following a well worked Barnet moved which was finished by Alex Nicholls as the Bees started brightly.

Stanley fought back in the second half and Kee’s equaliser from the spot in the 68th minute was a deserved one, both sides push hard for a winner but it was to be a point a piece.

The home side were seeing lots of the ball in the early stages and it didn’t take long for the pressure to tell, John Akinde powered his way towards goal, he found Mauro Vilhete in space who quickly laid a ball off to Nicholls who had time and space to pick his spot before stroking the ball into Aaron Chapman’s far corner.

Barnet were in the ascendency and were denied a second through Ricardo Santos’ header when Chapman saved well before an Akinde header was well blocked by Jimmy Dunne.

Stanley looked to recover from the early setback and began to settle and grow into the game, there were huge appeals for a penalty when Jordan Clark’s free-kick appeared to strike a hand inside the box, but the protests were waved away by referee Brett Huxtable.

Another Clark free-kick caused problems, the ball bounced around the area but nobody could get a touch to divert the ball towards goal as the Reds headed into the break with it all to do, trailing 1-0.

Stanley began the second half with the bit between their teeth, Erico Sousa, who had replaced Harvey Rodgers during the interval, drove forward and found Kayden Jackson who’s effort was blocked before Seamus Conneely sent the rebound over the bar.

On the stroke of the hour, Clark and Kee combined well, but the wingers shot was well saved by Craig Ross. But, moments later the pressure told, a foul on Dunne inside the area following a long-throw, led to a penalty, which Kee despatched to level it up with half of the second half to play.

The momentum had swung the Reds way and both sides had half chances but neither could work the goalkeepers in the closing stages, Liam Nolan coming closest with an effort from the edge of the box which trickled agonisingly wide.