Seamus Conneely’s first goal of the season was enough as Stanley beat Forest Green 1-0, recording back-to-back away wins in the process.

After withstanding long spells of first-half pressure it was Stanley who took the lead just after the hour-mark when Conneely hit a rocket from the edge of the area.

Forest Green came agonisingly close to an equaliser through the lively Christian Doidge and Drissa Traore but the Reds held firm for victory at the New Lawn.

Manager John Coleman made just one change from the side that won at Port Vale on Tuesday night, and it was an enforced one, as Jonny Edwards replaced the injured Kayden Jackson who couldn’t shake off a knock in time to make the trip south.

The game’s first sighting of goal came for the home side in just the 3rd minute when Reece Brown found Omar Bugiel with a clever through ball but just as the forward was about to pull the trigger he was stopped in his tracks by a superb sliding challenge from Jordan Thorniley.

Rovers continued to dominate possession in the early stages but were almost caught out by a Stanley counter-attack led by Sean McConville, the midfielder found Billy Kee who was bearing down on goal but slipped and his skewed effort went safely into the arms of a grateful Sam Russell.

In a first-half that saw real goalscoring opportunities come few and far between, it was Forest Green who had the better of the game as Buigel and Brown pulled the strings down either side, but the nearest they came to a goal was Charlie Cooper’s effort which didn’t trouble Aaron Chapman.

The best chance of the half fell to the recalled Edwards, after a counter-attack led by Kee the on-loan Hull forward unleashed an effort that fizzed just over the crossbar.

Forest Green continued to cause Stanley problems in the early stages of the second-half and it took just 10 minutes for Coleman to make a change, Scott Brown replaced Edwards and the Reds switched to a 4-3-3 formation as they tried to assert themselves on the game.

The changed made an immediate impact as Stanley attacked with intent for the first time, McConville tested the Rovers defence with a couple of teasing balls into the box.

But it was captain Conneely who broke the deadlock in the 61st minute, with a ferocious drive from the edge of the penalty area which struck the post before rolling along the line and into the back of the net. Perfect timing for the midfielder’s first goal of the season.

Forest Green continued to cause Stanley problems and were an inch away from levelling in the 76th minute when the lively Doidge spun inside the area before drilling a low shot narrowly wide of Chapman’s far post.

With eight minutes remaining, as League Two’s bottom side pushed for a point, Drissa Traore thought he’d struck gold with a shot from 30-yards out that beat Chapman but to the Reds relief thundered back off the crossbar.

Attendance: 2,594 (190 travelling Stanley fans)