Shay McCartan was at it again as he rescued at point for Stanley with an 89th minute free kick.

The in-form frontman fired home his eighth of the season with one of his trademark efforts to extend Stanley’s unbeaten run to 10 games.

They had also hit the woodwork twice but were relieved to settle for a point at the end after Grimsby took a 70th minute lead.

McCartan’s pace caused problems in the first half but he couldn’t find the finish.

The closest Stanley came to opening the scoring  was when Hull loan defender Harvey Rodgers unleashed a fierce shot from distance but it crashed against the post and out to safety on 37 minutes.

Meanwhile it needed a superb save from Aaron Chapman at the other end to push a Dominic Vose low effort around the post for Grimsby’s best chance of the half.

Janoi Donacien saw his dangerous cross whisk across the face of goal but no one was there to get the vital touch as it was goalless after a competitive first half.

After the break, Stanley failed to clear their lines and it needed the fingertips of Chapman to clear a Zak Mills right wing cross.

Meanwhile McCartan’s pace continued to be a danger and he raced forward but keeper James McKeown was out quickly to deny him.

The Mariners lost Scott Vernon to a head injury on 57 minutes after he crashed into the advertising hoardings and Marcus Bignot had to reshuffle his pack.

And the next chance fell to Stanley who were so unlucky again on 60 minutes when a Matty Pearson 20-yard strike hit the corner of the crossbar and the post.

It was Grimsby who made a chance count on 70 minutes when they passed the ball outside the box and sub Akwasi Asante, signed from non league in January, who made space for himself to the right of the area of fired low past Chapman.

Stanley battled for an equaliser with Jordan Clark’s effort just wide and unmarked Pearson heading over.

Then came McCartan’s late heroics although it needed a 92nd minute save from Aaron Chapman to deny Asante a late winner.