Only an injury time stunning save from Mark Gillespie denied Stanley a heroic win over promotion chasing Carlisle.

The Reds battled with ten men for 78 minutes and could have won the game in the dying minutes but Gillespie kept out a fierce strike by Hull loan debutant Harvey Rodgers with his legs.

It was a solid show by the Reds who went down to ten men for the second week running.

Referee Chris Sarginson showed defender Matty Pearson a straight red on 12 minutes for a late tackle on Macaulay Gillesphey.

Stanley felt aggrieved minutes later when Shay McCartan went on a run and was brought down by Gary Liddle just outside the area with Sarginson producing a yellow card for the defender.

The Cumbrians took the lead on 20 minutes when Gillesphey’s cross was flicked on by Shaun Miller and Jason Kennedy was there in a cluster at the far post to force the ball home via Omar Beckles.

However ten-man Stanley were level a minute later when a superb free kick by McCartan 20 yards out found the top corner of the net – his first goal since March.

Carlisle had a great chance to retake the lead on 34 minutes when Nicky Adams set up top scorer Charlie Wyke but he headed over the bar.

Former Stanley captain Luke Joyce fired straight at Rodak after the break while the lively McCartan raced forward but his strike was narrowly over the bar.

The ten men battled hard and had to defend strongly at times as Carlisle pressed.

17-goal Wyke headed over the bar for the Cumbrians while Rodak pulled off a superb save to keep out Kennedy’s close range effort and a certain goal on 68 minutes.

Sub Jabo Ibehre also headed over for the visitors while, at the other end, debutant Rodgers headed narrowly off-target from Sean McConville’s free kick on 70 minutes.

Billy Kee also stung the hands of keeper Mark Gillespie with a long range effort and then at the end, with four minutes of injury time, Stanley forced a succession of corners.

From one, Gillespie kept out Rodgers with his legs to deny the Reds a courageous win.