Jay Simpson scored the only goal as 10-man Stanley slipped to defeat at Leyton Orient.

Sean McConville saw red in the 24th minute when he was judged to have denied a goalscoring opportunity by pulling Gavin Massey back – referee Darren Drysdale and his assistant took a couple of minutes to discuss the incident before the captain for the day was dismissed.

Stanley were lively even with 10-men but they failed to clear their lines in the 65th minute and Jay Simpson – who was prolific last season – fired home the winner.

John Coleman was without striker Billy Kee and keeper Elliot Parish through injury for the trip to the Matchroom Stadium with Terry Gornell and Arron Davies the two changes to the starting XI which beat Woking in the Emirates FA Cup.

Orient started well with Stanley having to do some desperate defending in the early stages.

The first Reds chance fell to Scott Brown in the area but he couldn’t find the target on 16 minutes.

Former Stanley keeper Alex Cisak spilled a Paddy Lacey long range effort but, with Gornell nicking the ball, referee Drysdale saved the keeper saying he had both hands on the ball.

The game turned in Orient’s favour on 24 minutes with McConville’s dismissal.

Orient then looked to capitalise on their one-man advantage and Callum Kennedy’s free kick wasn’t far off while Nicky Hunt’s effort was straight at Aaron Chapman.

Striker Simpson fired wide in a good position after sustained pressure from the home side but ten-man Stanley were still in it with Jordan Clark racing into the area just before the break with Cisak diving low to keep out his effort.

Stanley started the second half well without testing Cisak but Orient did have a strong chance on the hour with Nigel Atangana’s strike bouncing around the area before falling into the grateful arms of Chapman.

The goal came on 65 minutes when Stanley failed to clear a Myles Judd ball in and sub Paul McCallum headed down in the area for Simpson who turned and stabbed home his third goal of the season.

Stanley came close to leveller two minutes later when John O’Sullivan broke down the left and raced into the area setting up Clark who was denied by Cisak and Gornell followed-up leading to another Cisak save – but was judged off-side.

Rommy Boco and Shay McCartan came on for the Reds and McCartan fired into the side netting with almost his first touch.

Stanley kept pressing with 10-men as they looked for the all-important equaliser but they just couldn’t find it.