Accrington Stanley Under-18s made it through to the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup after beating Morecambe Under-18s 4-2 on penalties at the Globe Arena.

The game finished 2-2 at full-time, before goalkeeper Jack Little kept the score level during extra time with a string of saves.

Little made another fantastic stop in the shootout, before Harry Waterhouse converted his spot-kick to send the young Reds through the next round.

Stanley took the lead in the tenth minute through Joe Rathbone’s audacious long-range effort, beating Morecambe ‘keeper Niall Maher from over forty yards out.

The young Reds could have doubled the lead soon after as Rathbone’s corner fell to Harry Blackburn in the six-yard box, but his shot was inches wide of the right upright.

Morecambe levelled the game after twenty minutes, Kyle Hawley tapping into an empty net after Steve Yawson sprinted down the right, cut inside the area and fired a low ball past the advancing Little as the Stanley ‘keeper tried to close him down.

Stanley might have retaken the lead just before half-time; Blackburn’s driven effort forcing a fine save from Maher, who dived low to his left to tip the ball past the post.

The Shrimps started the second-half brightly and Yawson got himself on the scoresheet in the 49th minute to give the hosts the lead.

Chasing down a long ball, Little forced the striker out to a tight angle, and with no passing option this time, Yawson curled his shot across the face of goal and in at the far post.

Just after the hour-mark, Stanley were awarded a penalty when Blackburn was fouled in the box.

Rathbone stepped up to take it, sending Maher the wrong way to score his second of the game and level the tie at 2-2.

With five minutes of the game left, Ross Sykes was forced to come off for Stanley through injury, which forced the Reds to reshuffle at the back, but the score remained 2-2 at full-time.

Little kept the scores level in the first-half of extra-time with two fantastic saves.

First his outstretched leg prevented Hawley from getting his second of the game, then just a minute later he charged out to deny him again after he ran clean through on goal.

The ‘keeper was immediately called upon again as the second-half of extra time began.

Yawson’s shot was thwarted by Little’s dive, as Morecambe continued to build the pressure on Stanley’s net, but the ball fell straight to the feet of Hawley, whose shot from six yards thundered into the crossbar and away to safety.

Stanley almost won it at the end of extra-time, as they broke in numbers and a late shot was cleared off of the line to send the game to penalties.

Stanley Line-up: Little, Ogle, Burgess, Hmami, Sykes, Mohammed, Moran, Reilly, Blackburn, Rathbone, Mills

Subs: Wolland, Waterhouse, Cooper, O’Neill, Shah