Accrington Stanley U18s daily update from their pre-season tour to Holland, written by scholars Nathan Wolland and Harry Waterhouse…

We had a lie in today as breakfast wasn’t until 9, everyone came down excited for the game against FC Twente, we then had a bit of time to get our things together before traveling to the game. The atmosphere on the bus was good between everyone and everyone was really up for the game.

We arrived at FC Twente at 2pm following a two-hour bus journey. The facilities were outstanding and everyone commented how good they were, this only added to our excitement. The game started well with Harry Blackburn having the first sight on goal after a good start however after this FC Twente began pushing forward and dominated the game. After a few attacks and a few good saves from Jack Little the pressure finally told and Accrington were pegged back 1-0. The pressure began straight away from the restart breaking down the midfield and defence leaving a strike from the edge of the box which Little saved in the bottom corner however, moments after this, they scored again with a strike in the bottom corner after some good work from the FC Twente winger. Accrington reacted to this well as Nathan Webb fired in a great cross across the area which Ross Sykes stretched for glancing his header inches wide. Another chance fell for Sykes shortly after this after a nice flick on from Joe Rathbone, it fell to Sykes which he chested down and struck forcing a good save from the keeper tipping it on to the post which then fell to Harry Blackburn who then could only hit the post from a tight angle. Then before half time an under hit back pass from Stanley’s Josh Hmami fell to the FC Twente striker who scored to make it 3-0.


After a serious team talk at half time the boys came out of the traps very well looking sharp and were on the front foot forcing FC Twente into mistakes, after 15 minutes Josh Hmami atoned for his error by firing a fantastic finish into the bottom corner from 20 yards out, this made the game interesting as FC Twente looked very shaky. Nathan Webb had a great chance to make it 3-2 as he went through on goal but his effort was blocked by Twente’s keeper. Joe Rathbone then had a chance but his good effort was blocked by a defender. However the pressure from Stanley soon paid off as Nathan Webb made it 3-2 with a goal coming straight from the corner, following the game Webb said he was aiming for the goal. Stanley were on the lookout for an equalizer and FC Twente took advantage quickly counting but had their 1v1 brilliantly saved by Stanley’s Jack Little. In the last minute of the game Accrington threw everyone forward looking for an equaliser, Reagan ogle threw a very dangerous throw in to the box, this led to Ross Sykes being pulled to the ground but the referee didn’t give anything and blew the full time whistle moments later.

Everyone was very disappointed and struggled to enjoy the BBQ when we got back to the hotel however the coaches reiterated that they were happy with the second half performance, which hopefully sets us up nicely for our final game v PSV on Saturday.