Goals from Rommy Boco, Matty Pearson and Sean McConville gave Stanley an opening day win in a thrilling 3-2 victory over Doncaster Rovers.

McConville sealed the three points in second half stoppage time in a cracking spectacle that also saw Aaron Chapman save a penalty.

Disaster almost struck early for the Reds when Chapman failed to claim a ball into the box and bundled over Matty Blair in the box, leading ref Sebastian Stockbridge to point to the penalty spot. The big keeper made up for it though, paddling out the kick from Andy Williams and dealing with two rebounds to keep the visitors at bay.

Soon it was Stanley doing the attacking, with Boco rolling back the years to open the scoring on seven minutes. A decade after a first Football League goal for the club in 44 years the man from Benin latched onto Scott Brown’s lofted pass to beat ex-Red Ross Etheridge at his near post.

True to the theme of the game it wasn’t a lead that lasted long, with Tommy Rowe making his way into the home area just five minutes later and squeezing a shot under Chapman to make it 1-1.

Chances at either end followed, with Andy Butler heading over then volleying at Chapman for Rovers and McConville hitting a free kick over the top.

John Coleman’s men restored their lead in style. A 28th minute attack down the left looked to have petered out when the ball came to Pearson who cut inside and dispatched a bullet right foot shot past Etheridge from over 25 yards to make it 2-1.

Moments later it might have been three but Terry Gornell could only cap a fine counter with a curling shot wide.

Doncaster finished the half well with Williams heading wide and Mark Hughes clearing off his line from a corner but couldn’t find another leveller.

Darren Ferguson’s side started the second 45 in a similar vein, with John Marquis heading wide and Williams shooting straight at Chapman as they put the pressure on.

Counter attacks were the most fruitful method for Stanley with Boco testing Etheridge on the breakaway before McConville could only head Janoi Donacien’s cross into the side netting.

The visitors found the equaliser their pressure deserved nine minutes from time when Chapman spilled a strike from Williams that dropped over the line despite the keeper’s best efforts.

Gornell looked like his late chance might be the one to win it, the striker placing a shot at Etheridge, but there was still time for a winner.

Captain Seamus Conneely crossed from the right and McConville met the ball with an improvised volley that nestled in the right side of the net to give the Reds a win on the first Football League weekend for only the second time in ten years.

Stanley: Chapman, Donacien, Beckles, Hughes, Pearson, Clark, Brown, Conneely, McConville, Boco, Gornell