Jordan Clark scored the winning penalty in a dramatic EFL Cup victory over League One Bradford City.

Despite Stanley being down to ten men following the sending off of keeper Elliot Parish on 74 minutes, the Reds battled hard and kept it goalless in normal time and even saw a John O’Sullivan penalty saved in extra-time as neither side could break the deadlock.

Bradford did hit the woodwork twice and the Reds goal led a charmed life at times but they held on for penalties which ended 11-10 in Stanley’s favour as the Reds players held their nerves to take their spot kicks.

Only Mark Hughes missed – and he had to take a second penalty which he fired home.

John Coleman made four changes, giving Chris Eagles, Arron Davies and Parish their first Stanley starts against Bradford while O’Sullivan began his second loan spell with the Reds.

Bradford created the better chances in the first half with Jody Hiwula forcing a superb one-handed save out of Parish while James Hanson had a close range strike blocked.

Nicky Law fired over when it looked easier to score and Stanley were under pressure with winger Hiwula running half the length of the pitch before Parish again denied him to make it goalless at half-time.

Eagles had two chances after the re-start, firing one at Colin Doyle and his second was off-target as Stanley enjoyed a spell of pressure.

Clark was unlucky not to open his Stanley account on 60 minutes when he got the ball in the area and hooked it narrowly over the bar.

Then Parish did superbly to collect a Hanson diving header and deny sub Filipe Morais as Bradford upped their game.

The Stanley keeper pushed away Law’s strike but then raced out of his area on 74 minutes and was shown a straight red for bringing down Morais, with Stanley down to ten-men and sub keeper Aaron Chapman coming on.

Bradford looked for the winner, sub Mark Marshall hitting the post on 80 minutes and then forcing a good save out of Chapman while he skied a gilt edged chance in injury time.

In the fourth minute of extra-time Stanley were awarded a penalty when Mark Hughes was bundled over by Romain Vincelot but Doyle kept out O’Sullivan’s spot kick.

Vincelot hit the woodwork in the second half of extra-time as the ten-man Stanley defended superbly to deny the League One side and secure a second round spot.