Stanley suffered play-off heartbreak for the second time after Wimbledon scored an extra-time winner in their semi-final second leg to make it 2-2 on the night and a 3-2 aggregate win to the Dons.

Wimbledon led 1-0 from the first leg after Tom Beere’s 93rd minute winner on Saturday but goals from Josh Windass and Piero Mingoia had put them 2-1 up on aggregate after 59 minutes.

But Ade Akinfenwa headed home to level the ties and top scorer Lyle Taylor fired home the winner  in the 104th minute to face Plymouth at Wembley.

It was agony for Stanley who only missed out on automatic promotion on the final day of the campaign – and lost in the play-offs in 2011 – and now must prepare for another season in League two after coming so close.

And the game was also held up with seven minutes to play through floodlight failure – but the lights did come back on to finish the clash.

Stanley boss John Coleman gave Shay McCartan a start on his 22nd birthday as Windass moved to the left wing.

But it was the Dons who created the better chances in the early stages with top scorer Taylor coming close twice and Andy Barcham also had an effort blocked.

Stanley Tom Davies was denied by Kelle Roos with a sliding effort on 12 minutes while Billy Kee leapt highest to Mingoia’s cross but he could only guide his header wide.

It was nip and tuck with chances limited although McCartan got his head to an Adam Buxton cross but his effort fell kindly for Roos.

Stanley pressed and levelled on 39 minutes when Scott Brown was fouled in the area by Sean Rigg and Windass fired home his 17th goal of the season from the penalty spot to make it all square on aggregate.

Wimbledon brought on striker Ade Akinfenwa at the start of the second half but it was Stanley who had a go first, Mingoia’s strike collected at the second attempt by the Dons keeper.

But he could do nothing to stop the scorcher that put Stanley ahead when Mingoia got the ball on the right and hit it sweetly giving Roos no chance as it rifled into the top corner on the net on 59 minutes.

This lifted the crowd but it was the Dons who levelled on 67 minutes when Akinfenwa headed home from close range after getting on the end of Barry Fuller’s right wing cross.

Stanley stopper Ross Etheridge dived low to hold onto Barcham’s close range header while Roos kept out Kee’s long range effort on 83 minutes as the game went into extra-time.

Defender Davies did well to hook sub Adebayo Azeez’s overhead kick off the line in the first period of extra-time before the Dons scored the winner.

Jake Reeves went on a run in the 104th minute and his shot was parried out by Etheridge but it fell for Taylor to fire home.

The lights went off but it was the Dons who continued to press when they came back on with Azeez denied by the legs of Etheridge at the death.

But the Dons had done enough and it was more play-off agony for Stanley.