Accrington Stanley were held to a draw to Wycombe Wanderers at the Wham Stadium.

Shay McCartan’s opener on the stroke of half-time was cancelled out by Garry Thompson just past the hour mark as the Reds chase down an automatic promotion place.

The point sees John Coleman’s men go to within four points of third-place Plymouth Argyle, while Wycombe move into the play-off positions with the draw.

After ending a winless streak of four against Plymouth in their previous match, Stanley made a bright start with Adam Buxton testing Wycombe goalkeeper Ryan Allsop in the opening stages.

The full back created space on the edge of the area but hit his low shot straight at Allsop for a comfortable save.

John Coleman’s side found joy in wide areas and good link-up play between Buxton and Sean McConville resulted in the latter finding the target with a curling effort that was well held by the visiting ‘keeper.

Wycombe were looking to bounce back from a run of three defeats away from home and slowly grew into the match after soaking up early pressure.

Michael Harriman’s free-kick near the byline was cleared, but only into the path of midfielder Matt Bloomfield, whose inviting touch to volley went inches wide of the post from 25 yards out.

An injury to Buxton towards the end of the first-half meant Matty Pearson was shifted to left fullback to allow Brad Halliday into his more familiar position on the right.

The defender came close to giving Accrington the lead at the the other end of the field after heading McConville’s corner just over the crossbar.

With only additional-time remaining in the half, McCartan tucked home a third goal in successive matches to break the deadlock.

A superb through ball from Billy Kee allowed the attacking midfielder to beat the offside trap and go one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

The Northern Irishman managed to hold his nerve with a good finish into the bottom corner and secure a seventh goal of the campaign.

Accrington continued to create chances following the interval as the home side attempted to double their advantage.

Piero Mingoia raced down the right flank before sending an teasing low cross into the area, which none of the attacking options were able to get a toe to.

On the hour mark, the visitors were able to find an equaliser thanks to a strike from  Thompson.

The winger was put through with only Stanley’s Ross Etheridge to beat and converted well to find a way back into the match for the Chairboys.

After being pegged back level, the Reds responded well and almost retook the lead with a chance for Mingoia.

While tussling with his opposite man, the ball fell kindly for the winger and Allsop was quick off his line to deny Mingoia with a brave block at close range.

Both teams made attacking substitutions as they searched for a winning goal.

McConville latched onto a pass from Kee after the striker held up play excellently but his shot flew well wide and into the home supporters behind the goal.

Neither side were able to find a moment of magic or the opportunity to take advantage of a mistake to steal victory at the death.

Accrington now face a trip to Dagenham & Redbridge in their next match this Saturday.

Starting line-up: Etheridge; Pearson, Hughes, Davies, Buxton (Halliday 42′); Brown (Procter 81′), Conneely; Mingoia, McCartan, McConville (Shaw 81’); Kee

Subs not used: Mooney, Barry, Boco, Carver