John Coleman was livid after two contentious decisions by referee Trevor Kettle meant Stanley had to settle for a point at promotion rivals AFC Wimbledon.

Billy Kee got the ball in the area and fired it home but Kettle, who was a replacement referee for the clash, had blown his whistle for half-time as the striker hit the ball – and it was ruled out.

The Stanley players and fans were furious at the break and it got worse for the Reds when, on 86 minutes, keeper Ross Etheridge was judged to have touched the ball outside his area as Lyle Taylor raced free and the keeper was shown a red card.

It was agony for Stanley who dominated the game but almost lost it when Connor Smith hit the post – although at the time of his shot Liam Wakefield was down in the area with a head injury.

It was a game full of incident although there wasn’t a sign of what was to come in the opening 44 minutes.

The first real chance came on 11 minutes when McCartan’s ball fizzed across the face of goal with Sean McConville rushing in at the far post but captain Barry Fuller did enough to just get there first.

Dons top scorer Taylor raced through on 15 minutes but his angled effort was easily collected by Etheridge.

Kee drilled a free kick just wide while Seamus Conneely and Piero Mingoia couldn’t find the target with strikes.

Stanley came close towards the end of the half with McConville shaking off his defender and finding unmarked McCartan but a superb tackle denied the striker a clean shot on goal.

Stanley’s first shot on target came on 42 minutes when McConville’s free kick was pushed out by Kelle Roos.

Then chaos ensued when Kee got the ball in the area and rifled it low into the bottom of the net but, just as he hit it, Kettle blew for half-time and ruled the ‘goal’ out with the Stanley players furious.

Stanley came out with a purpose after the break and McConville’s free kick 10 minutes after the re-start was a whisker over the crossbar while Mingoia’s curling effort was held by Roos.

Andy Barcham and Tom Elliott had half chances for the Dons and, with 20 minutes to go, Neal Ardley put on Ade Akinfenwa and Dannie Bulman.

Wimbledon hit the post through Smith from a corner on 79 minutes but Stanley were furious as Wakefield was injured in the area as play went on.

Then came the sending off with Etheridge getting first to Taylor’s strike – but he was ruled out of his area although the goalie insisted it was on the line. Jason Mooney came on and kept out Taylor’s resulting free kick.

With eight minutes of added time there was more confusion as the game ended in bad-tempered fashion with neither side finding a way through.