Accrington Stanley were unable to hold on to a first victory of the season as a late goal from Luton Town’s Jonathan Smith meant both sides shared the points at The Wham Stadium.

Josh Windass had given Stanley the lead an hour into the match from the penalty spot, but a deflection from Craig Mackail-Smith’s shot deep into stoppage time stole a late point for The Hatters.

Stanley made a bright start and Josh Windass was the first player to force an early save out of either goalkeeper.

The attacking midfielder raced down the left hand side on the counter attack before cutting inside and testing Luton’s Eliot Justham low to his left.

The home side continued to apply pressure on The Hatters with new club captain Terry Gornell firing low from Windass’ cross, but Justham was on hand to prevent the opening goal.

It took until the half hour mark for John Still’s side to have their first real chance on goal. Debutant Josh McQuoid held the ball up on the edge of the box for Jonathan Smith to shoot from distance but Mooney got down well to deny the midfielder.

As half time approached the Accrington defense failed to close down Luton’s Nathan Doyle and the midfielder hit a fierce driven effort from 25 yards out; whistling just wide of the post.

The traveling side took their momentum into the second half as striker Craig Mackail-Smith had a close range shot blocked off from Danny Green’s cross.

Stanley were given a great opportunity to take the lead after Windass was brought down inside the area by Smith and referee Eltringham pointed to the spot.

The 21-year-old stepped up and fired home into the bottom left corner to put The Reds ahead.

Midfielder Matt Crooks came close to doubling the home sides advantage with a header from Piero Mingoia floated ball into the area, but Justham was equal to it.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Accrington fullback Adam Buxton was fouled on the left hand side of the box and resulted in Anthony Barry finding the target with a driven free kick that could only be parried away by Justham.

The Hatters pressed desperately for an equaliser with little time remaining and not long after the fourth official announced how much injury time remained, Jonathan Smith found the net for the away side after Mackail-Smith’s shot deflected off the midfielder.

Stanley (4-2-3-1): Mooney; Pearson, Davies, Winnard, Buxton (Wright 85′); Crooks, Connely; Mingoia, Windass (Barry 74′), McConville (Kee 64′) ; Gornell

Subs not used: Etheridge, Procter, Bruna, Morgan

Attendance: 2,359 (1,175 Luton supporters)