Accrington Stanley have been knocked out of the Capital One Cup following a fine performance against Championship side Hull City on penalties.

The game ended goalless before four goals in extra time took the match to a shootout, where Matt Crooks’ miss in sudden death sent the Tigers through.

Substitutes Chuba Akpom and Greg Luer had put Hull ahead on two occassions before goals from Crooks and Gornell took the match all the way.

Stanley got off to a good start, looking dangerous on the counter attack and restricting the visitors to very little in front of goal. An early long range effort from Hull’s Sone Aluko trickled wide of the right hand post.

Croatian Nikica Jelavic had a great opportunity to take advantage of Jason Mooney’s mistake after the goalkeeper failed to claim Aluko’s corner, but the striker turned and blazed a shot well over the crossbar.

Stanley have been known for giant-killings in the past and a Matt Crooks’ header almost put the home side on course for another as half-time approached.

The towering midfielder rose the highest from Anthony Barry’s wide free kick, but the effort narrowly looped over as Hull’s Eldin Jakupovic appeared helpless with little time remaining in the opening 45 minutes.

Accrington continued to create chances and caused the Championship side problems. Tom Davies, who impressed on debut against Luton, had a header fly just over from Barry’s well flighted corner.

Josh Windass faced his father’s former club for the first time in his career and hit a fierce free kick that forced a good save out of Hull’s Austrian goalkeeper.

Steve Bruce’s men became more frustrated as the half went on and substitute Chuba Akpom was inches from stealing a late winner.

The Arsenal loanee’s driven shot was fumbled by Mooney and the Irishman was only just able to palm the ball away as it looked destined to give the Tigers a lead in the closing stages of normal time.

Despite the striker not being able to finish the match in the 90, Akpom fired Hull ahead less than two minutes into extra time.

The 19-year-old picked up the ball just inside the area before shaping up with his left foot and hitting home his second goal in as many games.

Stanley pushed for an equaliser and Crooks broke into the box to beat Harry Maguire to a header from Mingoia’s cross to put the Reds back level just before the break.

Hull came out strongly in the final period of extra time and were rewarded for their efforts as Greg Luer scored his first senior goal with a good header.

But Stanley kept fighting and pushing forward to take the game to penalties and Terry Gornell did just that by punishing Jakupovic for only parrying McConville’s shot into the club captain’s path for an easy tap in.

Both sides missed two penalties as the shootout went into sudden death. Curtis Davies fired home for Hull before Stanley midfielder Crooks blazed over to seal victory for the away side.

Stanley (4-2-3-1): Mooney; Wakefield (Gornell 98′), Davies, Winnard, Pearson; Barry (Conneely 80′), Crooks; Mingoia, Windass, Bruna (McConville 60′); Kee

Subs not used: Etheridge, Wright, Buxton, Morgan

Attendance: 2118