Matt Crooks scored an 89th minute equaliser to rescue a point for Stanley against 10-man Notts County.

Graham Burke headed the Magpies in front in the 76th minute after County had struggled to find a way past an inspired Jason Mooney and the Reds backline.

Liam Noble was shown a straight red card on 87 minutes for a late tackle on Stanley’s Josh Windass, who had to be subbed shortly after.

And then midfielder Crooks popped up to secure a point for the Reds when Sean McConville’s corner bobbled around the area and the former Huddersfield man pounced to fire home.

Ricardo Moniz’s side, who are one of the favourites for promotion, started off well with Jon Stead having two early efforts blocked while Seamus Conneely had a looping strike deflected wide for Stanley all in the opening two minutes.

County almost opened the scoring in the 18th minute when lively midfielder Burke’s strike from distance blasted against the crossbar and bounced to Genaro Snijders who rifled the rebound well over the bar.

Striker Windass took a 20 yard free kick which was straight at Roy Carroll and County’s hearts were in their mouths on 35 minutes following a wild tackle by Stanley Aborah on Matt Crooks – however the Ghanaian was shown a yellow card.

Stanley came close to breaking the deadlock on the stroke of half-time when Piero Mingoia raced clean through but Carroll denied him with his legs while, at the other end, Mooney had to finger-tip  over an injury-time effort by Noble.

Goal hero from Tuesday Sean McConville came on for Anthony Barry at half-time but it was County who forced the pace with Burke firing an effort narrowly wide.

Mooney superbly denied Campbell with his legs after the winger latched onto a looping ball over the top on 49 minutes and the towering keeper got down low to deny Snijders on the hour mark after the winger had raced free.

The Stanley keeper was in action again in the 68th minute pushing away a Burke cross and Noble fired a 20-yard free kick inches wide as the home crowd got increasingly frustrated.

However it soon turned to cheers on 76 minutes when a cross by Noble was headed home from four yards by Burke.

But then came the late drama with Noble sent off, Crooks levelling and Stanley could have won it with both Terry Gornell and Mingoia going close in injury-time.