Stanley are still searching for their first competitive win of the season after slipping to defeat at Morecambe’s Globe Arena.

Backed by a vocal away contingent, the Reds plugged away but were undone by Aaron Wildig’s strike in the 13th minute.

Debutant Adam Morgan and Josh Windass came closest to drawing Stanley level as the second half wore on, but the Shrimps held on to secure a first league victory over the Reds in 10 years.

John Coleman made just two changes from the side that ran Hull City so close in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night, and they were quick to put their opponents under pressure within the opening exchanges.

The Shrimps eventually gained a foothold in the match however, and took the lead with 13 minutes gone. Former Stanley loanee Devitt squared the ball across the area, and an unmarked Wildig swept home at the first time of asking from 12 yards out.

Stanley managed to reassert their previous dominance, but for all the Reds’ possession they failed to carve out any real openings, and against the run of play Morecambe midfielder Alan Goodall nearly doubled his side’s advantage as he struck the crossbar from range.

Clear chances remained at a premium for both sides until the interval, with Stanley endeavouring to restore parity and Morecambe seeking to get the monkey off their back against Coleman’s side.

Early in the second half, more link-up play between Devitt and Wildig saw the latter’s goal-bound effort tipped over by Reds keeper Jason Mooney for the clearest chance since the restart.

The Reds continued to push for an equaliser, and saw two chances in as many minutes go begging. First, Morgan shot wide from a good position in the area, before Windass could only divert substitute Sean McConville’s parried cross over the bar.

Morecambe’s Andrew Fleming thought he had made it 2-0 shortly before the final whistle, but the goal was ruled out by referee Stuart Attwell for an adjudged push in the area.

Stanley fought until the very end, but ultimately they came up just short and will look to bounce back at the Wham Stadium on Tuesday against Mansfield Town.

STANLEY (4-2-3-1): Mooney;  Wakefield, Winnard, Davies, Pearson;  Barry (McConville 60’), Crooks; Mingoia, Conneely (Morgan 71’), Windass; Cornell (Kee 45’)

Subs not used: Etheridge, Wright, Bruna, Buxton

ATTENDANCE: 1865 (336 Stanley)