Stanley secured a point against derby rivals Morecambe despite being down to 10 men for almost 50 minutes.

Terry Gornell was sent off for a late challenge on Lawrie Wilson four minutes before the break in a clash which also saw manager John Coleman sent to the stands in the first half after a touchline altercation with Morecambe boss Jim Bentley.

It was a game which had everything – including a 35-yard wonder goal from Liverpool loanee Lloyd Jones –  and it preserves Stanley’s long unbeaten league run against the Shrimps which stretches back to October 2005.

Coleman made two changes to the team who lost at Newport with Anthony Barry and Shay McCartan returning to the starting line-up.

Defender Dean Winnard missed out through injury while Sean Maguire dropped to the bench.

Coleman had hinted he may change his formation as he had used wingbacks in the last eight games but he stuck with it for the derby clash.

The first real chance fell to Stanley with McCartan chipping the ball up and Shaun Beeley hooked it off the line in the fifth minute.

Morecambe came more into the game and a deflected effort was just wide for the Shrimps while ex-Red Jamie Devitt fired a free kick just over the bar.

Stanley came close on 21 minutes when Josh Windass found Gornell in a swift passing move but the striker blasted his strike against the crossbar.

A minute later, at the other end, Devitt broke clean through but chipped Scott Davies and the crossbar.

And then Morecambe took the lead from a Devitt corner with Kevin Ellison getting the final touch to head home the opener on 25 minutes.

However the Reds replied within three minutes when defender  Jones got the ball 35 yards out and fired a wonder goal into the top corner of the net.

It was then all focus on the technical area with words exchanged between Coleman and Bentley which ended with Coleman being sent to the stands along with a Shrimps coach.

Back on the pitch, Stanley’s Jones was again involved when his shot was kept out by the feet of keeper Danny Ward – his Liverpool Under 21 team-mate – on the half hour.

The game then turned in Morecambe’s favour when Gornell was sent off for a late tackle on ex-Red Wilson four minutes from half-time.

Sean Maguire came on at the break for Barry to boost ten-man Stanley’s attacking options but the first real action was for Devitt to have a ‘goal’ disallowed as play was pulled back by referee Eddie Ilderton.

Then Bentley’s side had a great chance to go ahead on 55 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Ellison by Matt Crooks with winger Wilson blasting the spot kick over the bar.

Morecambe put the pressure on the 10-men without testing their former keeper Davies while the Reds also enjoyed a spell around the Shrimps box but they couldn’t make a chance count as honours ended even.