Stanley couldn’t do the double over Burton although the 3-0 scoreline flattered the league leaders at the Pirelli Stadium.

Damien McCrory scored from the penalty spot in the first half before Stuart Beavon grabbed the second on 74 minutes and Matty Palmer made it three five minutes from time.

Stanley did enjoy a spell of pressure after the break but just couldn’t take their chances and were made to pay.

John Coleman handed Liverpool Under 21 defender Lloyd Jones his debut for the ill Dean Winnard and Sean Maguire came in for the suspended Anthony Barry.

However, he had to reshuffle his squad almost immediately when Andy Procter limped off in the sixth minute with Seamus Conneely replacing him.

The Reds came close on 12 minutes when a Josh Windass corner was played to the inrushing Kal Naismith 20 yards out and his shot took a deflection forcing keeper Jon McLaughlin into a late save.

Burton had a number of breakaways but Stanley dealt with them and their first real chance didn’t come until the 20th minute when Tom Naylor fired wide from distance.

The Brewers took the lead in the 27th minute when a free kick into the area was judged to have been handled by the leaping Rob Atkinson and McCrory fired home the spot kick.

In a half of limited chances, Adam McGurk’s shot was comfortable for Scott Davies while, at the other end, the Reds appealed for a spot kick when Naismith went down under a challenge but referee Carl Boyeson was having none of it.

Coleman must have given his side a rousing half-time team talk as they enjoyed  a spell of pressure after the re-start.

On 50 minutes, a long throw from debutant Jones led to Terry Gornell having an effort pushed out by keeper McLaughlin as, as the ball was loose, the Reds shouted for another penalty but the flag was up for off-side.

Two minutes later a Palmer free kick wasn’t far off doubling Burton’s advantage while, at the other end, Piero Mingoia’s cross found the head of Maguire but his effort was tipped out by McLaughlin.

Windass had a free header just before the hour mark but couldn’t find the target while Maguire was clean through and drew McLaughlin out but, with the keeper stranded, the West Ham loanee went for goal and fired wide from 20 yards.

For all their pressure, Stanley fell two-goals behind to a quick breakaway on 74 minutes when the Reds lost the ball in midfield, McGurk broke and Beavon belted the ball into the bottom of the net.

Burnley loan striker Jason Gilchrist came on for his Stanley debut with ten minutes remaining but it was the Brewers who had the final say with Palmer rifling home an effort five minutes from time.

Stanley: Davies, Naismith, Atkinson, Crooks, Jones, Mingoia, Procter (Conneely 6), Joyce, Maguire (McCartan 80), Windass (Gilchrist 80), Gornell

Subs not used: Dawber, Liddle, Hunt, Bruna