Piero Mingoia was the hero as Stanley ran out winners in a five goal thriller against Portsmouth in front of a crowd of 14,300.

The Reds raced into a two-goal lead inside 14 minutes but were pegged back to 2-2 on the half hour mark before Luke Joyce had a penalty saved in the first half.

Both sides went for it after the break and it was Mingoia who popped up 12 minutes from time to fire home the winner, secure three points for the Reds and a first win over Portsmouth in six attempts.

But Stanley also had West Brom goalkeeper Jack Rose to thank as the stopper pulled off a string of tremendous saves to keep out Pompey in an eventful game.

Stanley surged into an early lead when Joyce’s free kick to the far post was not dealt with and defender Rob Aktinson stabbed home his fourth goal of the campaign on 11 minutes.

It was two on 15 minutes as the Reds enjoyed a dream start.  A ball into the area was cleared to Blackburn loan man John O’Sullivan on the edge of the area and he chested it down and powered home beyond Paul Jones.

However, within two minutes, Pompey had one back when a long throw by Danny Hollands was fired beyond Rose by Marcus Bean.

Rose then did superbly to stop Portsmouth equalising scrambling low to keep out Ryan Taylor’s overhead kick.

However Portsmouth made it 2-2 on 30 minutes when a ball over the top found Craig Westcarr who was judged on-side and he raced forward and looped the ball over Rose.

It was non-stop action and on 36 minutes O’Sullivan went on one of his mazy runs to the by-line before he was brought down by Matt Fish. Referee Keith Hill pointed to the spot but there was then a two minute delay as Joyce waited to take the spot kick.

When the skipper eventually heard the whistle, keeper Jones guessed correctly and pushed away the penalty.

Stanley then suffered a further blow three minutes before the interval when they lost centre back Rob Atkinson to injury with Nicky Hunt replacing him.

Rose was then called on to make a series of saves before the break,  diving to keep out a header and then a double save on the stroke of half-time to thwart Westcarr’s free kick and then Bean’s follow up.

John Coleman was forced into another substitution at half-time when injured O’Sullivan (groin) didn’t return and Shay McCartan came on for the second half.

But it was more of the same as it needed a quick response from Rose to push over a fierce Bean blast soon after the re-start.

Both sides hunted for the winner – Holmes fired wide in a decent position for Pompey while Maguire and McCartan both blasted over for Stanley.

Joyce had to clear an effort off the line after a frantic goalmouth scramble while unmarked Paul Robinson headed over for the home side much to the relief of the Stanley fans.

Then up popped Mingoia as McCartan found him and Mingoia  fired beyond Jones for a welcome winner.

STANLEY: Rose, Winnard, Aldred, Atkinson (Hunt 42), Liddle; Barry (Carver 85), Joyce;  O’Sullivan (McCartan 46), Maguire, Mingoia, Crooks

Subs: Simpson, Windass, Gray, Naismith