Accrington Stanley’s FA Youth Cup campaign ended in the first round as they lost 1-0 against Fleetwood Town at Highbury.

Nathan Webb and Tyler Scarth both hit the post for the Reds, but Liam Wood’s long-range rocket after an hour was enough to put their Lancashire opponents into Round Two.

After making the last sixteen last time out in the competition, it was disappointing for Dmitri Lavrinovic’s side to fall at the first hurdle.

Jonathan Conway broke into the penalty area for Fleetwood after a quarter of an hour but his low shot was saved by the feet of Christian Evans.

Staney suffered an injury blow shortly afterwards as John Roberts had to be substituted after going over on his ankle when defending a corner. Callum Walsh took his place at left-back.

The home side were well on top and saw Louis Myers’ shot from the edge of the area palmed behind by Evans.

Moments later Myers set up Jordan Hancox for a shot from a tight angle but the Fleetwood man could only fire his effort into the side-netting,

It was Myers causing all of the problems for the Reds’ defence, almost taking advantage as Evans failed to claim a cross but the goalkeeper redeemed himself by making a smart save from the home striker.

At the other end, Stanley almost took the lead against the run of play when a tackle from Kealan Steenson set Webb scampering away but the striker’s shot came back off the post with home goalkeeper Liam Bleeker grasping at thin air.

Bleeker was then tested twice in the space of a few minutes, first clawing away a Steenson free-kick from 35-yards before collecting a long-range effort from Webb at the second attempt.

Fleetwood midfielder Wood tested Evans from distance and Shane Glean had a shot which trickled wide of the target as the teams went into the break at a stalemate.

The second half was much tighter but the home side took the lead on the hour when Wood set his sights from 25 yards and unleashed a vicious effort that flew past Evans and into the top corner.

Lavrinovic’s men came close to equalising, hitting the post for a second time as substitute Tyler Scarth found space for a shot on the edge of the area but his effort cannoned back off the woodwork, hit the goalkeeper on the back and fortuitously went behind for a corner.

Hancox put another effort into the side-netting and Conway fired over from the edge of the box with the Cod Army defence holding firm at the opposite end of the field to ensure their passage on a frustrating night for Stanley.

Stanley: Evans; Wolfenden, Gunner, Smith, Roberts (Walsh 14); Quansah, Hickey; Hartley, Steenson (Moran 79), Dass (Scarth 60); Webb.
Unused substitutes: Little, Ogle.