STANLEY are out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after losing to managerless Carlisle.

Despite taking the lead through Marcus Carver, the Cumbrians came back with goals from Antony Sweeney, Kyle Dempsey and a controversial Billy Paynter goal to secure a place in the second round.

The Reds are still looking for their first win of the campaign and boss James Beattie admitted it was a ‘massive’ game on Saturday against Tranmere in League Two.

Stanley started so well against the Cumbrians when Carver, making his league debut for the Reds this season, opened the scoring on 21 minutes. The striker beat the off-side trap, got the ball 15 yards out and caught keeper Mark Gillespie off his line, finding the back of the net.

However they only held their lead for three minutes when a cross from Josh Gillies found Sweeney and he fired past Joe Lumley for the equaliser.

Danny Grainger came close to giving the Cumbrians the lead on the stroke of half-time with a 25 yard strike which was just over the crossbar.

However they took the lead four minutes after the restart. A  Gillies corner was headed back across goal by Sweeney and Dempsey scrambled the ball home from six yards out.

Caretaker player-manager Paul Thirlwell came on for the Carlisle, following the sacking of Graham Kavanagh on Monday, but the next chance fell to Stanley sub Shay McCartan.

A long ball over the top found McCartan whose initial effort was saved by Gillespie. The Cumbrian keeper couldn’t keep hold of the ball though and McCartan got a touch on the loose ball only to see his effort cleared off the line.

And Carlisle went straight down the other end and scored a controversial third.

Billy Paynter seemed to be well off-side on 70 minutes when he headed home after Lumley had saved Brad Potts’ effort and even he didn’t celebrate as he fell to the ground. However, much to the bemusement of the Carlisle contingent and the fury of the Stanley bench, the goal was given by referee Lee Collins.

The Cumbrians forced Lumley into a couple of good saves while Dempsey fired wide in injury time as Stanley couldn’t get back into the clash.