STANLEY were undone by a wonder goal against 10-man Bury at Gigg Lane.

The Reds took the lead through Kal Naismith and were dominant in the first half with Naismith also hitting the post and they had two efforts cleared off the line.

However Bury levelled through Danny Rose and then Danny Mayor scored a second half wonder goal to take all the points despite being reduced to ten men when captain Jimmy McNulty was sent off.

Stanley went into the clash confident and gave a debut to QPR loan keeper Joe Lumley while Will Hatfield came back into the side for George Bowerman.

The Reds had the first chance when one-time Bury target Naismith picked up a wayward pass  but his 30 yard strike was at keeper Rob Lainton.

Stanley started on the front foot and Naismith scored with a superb solo effort on 19 minutes. The winger got the ball on the right wing, made his way into the area and fired home off the post to give Stanley the lead.

The Reds came close to a second on the half hour but Rose headed Will Hatfield’s effort off the line and again they should have doubled their tally on 34 minutes.

James Gray broke clean through and Lainton came out and denied him and, while the keeper was stranded, Naismith got the ball and chipped towards the top corner of the net but his effort was headed off the line by Pablo Mills.

And Bury went straight down the other end and equalised on 35 minutes. They broke on the left wing and played in a cross and Rose had all the time to place his shot past Lumley.

Naismith was having a storming game and hit the crossbar with a 35-yard free kick and then Tom Aldred stabbed the ball just wide in a good position as Stanley bossed the first half.

Bury made a substitution and switched formation to 4-4-2 at the start of the second half and put the Reds under early pressure.

However they weathered the storm and Gray had a great chance to once again give Stanley the lead but he scuffed a shot in front of goal from Adam Buxton’s cross.

Bury’s Rose could have had a second on the hour mark as he got the ball in the area but he could only find the waiting arms of Lumley.

However the stopper could do nothing about Mayor’s 30 yard blast which found the top corner of the net on 62 minutes.

The home side were reduced to 10 men on 71 minutes when McNulty was sent off for a second bookable offence after a foul on Gray.

And Stanley had a great chance to equalise with 11 minutes to go when sub Shay McCartan got on the end of Buxton’s dipping cross at the far post but he could only slide the ball inches wide and Bury held on for a win.


STANLEY: Lumley, Buxton, Aldred, Atkinson, Mustoe, Joyce, Hunt (Windass 72), Naismith, Hatfield McCartan 74), Mingoia (Carver 90), Gray

Subs: Winnard, Lynch, Hazeldine,  Bowerman