SHAY McCartan celebrated his first Stanley goal as the Reds grabbed a late equaliser at promotion-chasing YorkCity.

The substitute headed home another sub Lee Molyneux’s corner in stoppage time to secure a point for the Reds – it was the first goal York had conceded in eight games.

And it was déjà vu from last season after Peter Murphy had scored late for the Stanley at Bootham Crescent then.

James Beattie, however, will feel justice was done this season after York scored a controversial opener.

Striker Kayode Odejayi was judged to have handled the ball in the area – with the assistant giving the decision – and Michael Coulson converted the spot kick in the 60th minute.

It was always going to be a battle for Accrington again in-form York and they were also without regular centre half Dean Winnard who was ill – with Rob Atkinson starting alongside Tom Aldred. Michael Liddle and Piero Mingoia also came into the starting line-up with Will Hatfield and Lee Molyneux dropping to the bench.

It was a first half of limited chances. York’s Adam Reed had the first opportunity with a header from free kick but it was direct it into Marcus Bettinelli’s arms.

Luke Joyce has a volley which was easy for keeper Nick Pope while Mingoia and Odejayi were both off target with their efforts.

Both sides were looking to catch each other on the break and Atkinson made a vital block after Coulson raced free down the left wing and attemped to play the perfect ball into the area.

The closest either side came was on 36 when a goalmouth scramble from a Will Hayhurst corner saw Russell Penn have a go as he ball bounced around area. However Bettinelli did just enough to keep it out and keep the scoreline goalless.

The last chance of the half was a deflected effort from Calvin Andrew which dipped just over Bettinelli’s bar.

Stanley started on the front foot after the interval but a break saw Coulson run clean through on goal before Nicky Hunt’s timely block stopped York opening the scoring.

Reed also saw a drilled effort go narrowly wide of Bettinelli’s goal and then came the controversial opener on 60 minutes.

Beattie brought on Kal Naismith, McCartan and then Lee Molyneux as they looked to get back in the hunt.

But it was York should have doubled their advantage 12 minutes from time when Hayhurst’s cross just needed any contact from Andrew as it raced across the six yard box but, thankfully for Stanley, the striker couldn’t get a touch on it.

However then came the late drama – with McCartan’s header securing a vital point. 

REDS: Bettinelli, Hunt, Aldred, Atkinson, Liddle; Buxton (Naismith), Joyce, Murphy (Molyneux), Mingoia, Odejayi, Gray (McCartan).

Subs: Hafield, Webber, Windass, Bowerman.