Stanley suffered their second consecutive defeat as they lost to high-flying Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium.

A double in either half from former Crown Ground striker Billy Kee gave the play-off chasers three valuable points.

James Beattie named an unchanged starting eleven from the side that lost at Portsmouth on Tuesday evening with veteran Danny Webber and goalkeeper Andrew Dawber on the bench in place of Max Halzeldine and Shay McCartan.

Despite failing to record a victory in their previous four matches coming into the game, the home side started the stronger and Stanley were indebted to goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli in the opening stages.

The on-loan Fulham man pulled off a smart save from Billy Kee’s header after a well-worked Albion free-kick from the right touchline courtesy of Damien McCrory.

And, moments later, Bettinelli saved well with his legs to deny Jimmy Phillips from close range.

Stanley, attacking towards the visiting end in the first period, carved their first opportunity on seventeen minutes when Kal Naismith’s cross from the right was met by Piero Mingoia but the home side were able to clear the danger.

Gary Rowett’s side took a deserved lead after 33 minutes when former Stanley striker Kee was able to poke home from a Phillips cross after a Brewers free-kick caused mayhem in the penalty area.

The hosts were aggrieved when the ever-involved Kee went down under the challenge of the Tom Aldred but referee Andy Haines saw nothing doing.

Burton almost doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time when a central pass caught out Aldred, Zeli Ismail shot but Bettinelli was able to palm away.

Stanley saw more of the ball at the start of the second half but were unable to test stopper Rob Lainton early on.

On 56 minutes, the Reds won a free-kick on the edge of the area after Naismith was fouled but Lee Molyneux saw his effort drift high and wide.

Beattie’s men continued to press and Mingoia’s shot deflected wide and only a last ditch intervention from the resultant corner prevented Kayode Odejayi from leveling proceedings.

Their persistence paid off as on 69 minutes, when Dean Winnard equalised as he glanced home Molyneux’s free-kick from the edge of the area to grab his first goal since November 2012.

With 15 minutes remaining, the Reds could have taken the lead when Mingoia met a Molyneux cross after a fine breakaway move, but the former Watford academy graduate could only fire at Lainton.

Burton won a penalty on 80 minutes after what referee Haines deemed a pull in the penalty area to the bemusement of the visitors and Kee stepped up and sent Bettinelli the wrong way.

The Staffordshire outfit almost put the icing on the cake when substitute Alex MacDonald fired wide on 90 minutes.

The result leaves Stanley in 22nd , four points clear of the bottom two in SkyBet League Two.

Stanley: Bettinelli, Hunt, Aldred, Winnard, Liddle (Webber, 85,) Mingoia, Joyce, Murphy, Molyneux, Odejayi, Naismith 85

Subs: Webber, Hatfield, Gray, Windass, Dawber, Atkinson, Bowerman.