Stanley youth were left bemused as they traveled back to Accrington with only one point.

Birthday boy James Jenkins put the visitors in front from the spot early in the first-half, but the failure to convert a number of key chances proved costly as the hosts scored a late equaliser to snatch a share of the points.

Both sides struggled to find their feet at the beginning of the first-half where chances were scarce.

On the 13th minute, Louis Robles had a half-chance 12-yards out after Jordan Flores got to the byline and cut the ball back, but he failed to keep his shot down.

Kieran Wolland in the Stanley goal was the first goalkeeper to be tested 22 minutes in when he punched a corner clear and retracted to his line quickly to keep out Elis Gibbons’ follow-up.

The game came to life when Max Hazeldine drove an effort goalwards from outside the box which was blocked by a defenders arm and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot on 32 mintues.

Jenkins stepped up and slotted the ball down the middle after the goalkeeper sold himself early diving to his right.

Stanley then cranked it up a gear and had a number of chances to extend their lead shortly before half-time.

After a sublime first-touch, Jenkins raced through one-on-one with Connor Keane but the ‘keeper got down low to save as the attacker attempted to round him.

Jenkins then headed Roman Hickey’s corner into the ground and over the bar from two-yards when it looked easier to score than miss.

Nathan Hudson released Hazeldine down the left channel and he put the ball on a plate for the onrushing Jenkins at the back-post but he sliced his shot wide of goal.

Six minutes into the second-half Jenkins played a ¬†neat one-two with Nathan Webb which left himself with only the ‘keeper to beat, but again Keane stood resilient against the Stanley onslaught.

The building pressure nearly paid dividends when Dieter Downey fired wide from the edge of the box.

Robles raced through one-on-one but Wolland stood strong to retain his sides lead and push the ball around the post.

Another chance passed Stanley by when Hazeldine found Walsh at the back post but the midfielder missed his kick.

15 minutes from time Wigan snatched an equaliser.  Flores wriggled past a number of defenders before forcing Wolland to push his thunderous effort over the crossbar and out for a corner.

From the resulting corner Robles leaped highest and thundered a header in at the near post.

The Reds threw everything they had at Wigan in the final few minutes – Downey burst into the box and fired straight at the goalkeeper before Hazeldine prodded his shot the wrong side of the upright after he latched onto Dalian Barker’s flick.

The last kick of the game saw Liam Goulding come close after having an initial effort saved, his follow-up trickled agonisingly past the post.

The draw extends Stanley’s unbeaten run in the league to five games.