Accrington Stanley youth secured a second-round tie with Ilkeston after victory over Carlisle United in the FA Youth Cup.

Stanley started brightly when Max Hazeldine picked up Nathan Hudson’s header and drove at the heart of the Carlisle defence but he failed to keep his shot down.

Dalian Barker fired over soon after when he met Connor Mahoney’s corner at the back-post.

Dieter Downey was adjudged to have fouled Patrick Brough inside the penalty area on the 21st minute and Danny Hodgson stepped up for the visitors to tuck the resulting spot-kick past Kieran Wolland.

Hodgson came close moments later with a long-range effort that had Wolland scrambling across his line, but landed inches past the post.

Connor Hammell stung the palms of Wolland from distance as the visitors began to grow into the game.

The equaliser came on the 32nd minute when Hazeldine flicked on a cross from the left and Barker was on hand at the back-post for a tap-in.

Stanley then had a stone-wall penalty appeal waved away when Hazeldine was played through by Downey and on cutting inside was caught by Marshall, however referee Jane Simms waved away the protests.

Hazeldine put that decision behind him and headed his side into the lead rising highest to meet Mahoney’s corner on 41 minutes.

Hammell failed to keep his 25-yard shot down as Carlisle were the quickest out of the blocks in the second-half.

Brough then crashed a shot against the underside of the crossbar as the visitors continued to press.

Carlisle were presented with a glorious opportunity when Brough’s cross found Hodgson, but he fired over at point-blank range.

Barker led the Stanley charges forward, stinging the hands of Brass from 20-yards.

Hazeldine found himself one-on-one after beating the offside trap but his curling effort was wide of the post.

Hodgson headed White’s corner past the post, before Brough got on the end of a deep free-kick but couldn’t keep his shot on target as the visitors continued to press.

White arrowed a shot from 25-yards inches past Wolland’s upright.

Birthday boy Kealan Steenson beat the offside trap on the 74th minute; however goalkeeper Brass was out quickly to collect at his feet.

A heavy touch from Steenson was all that denied Stanley some breathing space, after Hazeldine got to the touchline and crossed.

Victory was all but secured on the 86th minute when Mahoney arrived at exactly the right time to convert Hazeldine’s cross to put his side three up.

Carlisle had all hands to the pumps late on when Hammell hit the post with a phenomenal effort directly from kick-off and Brouch struck the woodwork a minute later.

Stanley managed to hold on secured a well deserved victory to progress into the second round.

Report by Mikael McKenzie