Accrington Stanley youth battled for a well earned point as they hosted Carlisle United at the Store First Stadium in an entertaining encounter.

Carlisle came firing out of the blocks looking to avenge the defeat they suffered at the hands of Stanley in the FA Youth Cup a little over a week ago, and came close when Patrick Brough got on the end of a Danny Hodgson low cross, but his effort trickled past the far post.

The same two combined again inside eight minutes but this time Brough made sure his effort hit the back of the net poking home from eight-yards after great work from Hodgson down the right.

Dieter Downey started the Stanley fight back with a left-footed effort that went high and wide, before Nathan Hudson’s snapshot rose narrowly over Brass’ crossbar following Jack Hartley’s free-kick.

Max Hazeldine headed Hudson’s out-swinging corner back towards goal and Nathan Webb was lingering but failed to convert from six-yards.

Webb dispossessed Marshall down the right and played in Dalian Barker but he dragged his shot past the far post, and Downey cut in from the right and looked to catch the goalkeeper out at the near post but his shot flew wide of the post.

Stanley looked to have equalised within the opening 15 seconds of the second-half as Hazeldine drove at the heart of the Carlisle defence and curled a shot into the bottom corner of the goal, however the referee had spotted an earlier foul on the attacker and bizarrely brought play back for a free-kick.

Brass could only palm Hazeldine’s resulting free-kick back into the danger zone and Hudson was on hand to scramble the ball over the line to draw his side level.

Hazeldine again caused problems for the Cumbrian defence firing wide from distance, and moments later Barker acrobatically shot wide as he got on the end of Hudson’s free-kick.

Stanley cranked it up another gear when Hazeldine danced around two defenders before cutting back to Hartley but his shot landed wide of the post.

Only a lick of paint denied Hazeldine from giving his side the lead when his shot from the edge of the area clipped the top of the crossbar.

Wolland was forced into his first save of the second-half on 76 minutes and what a save it was to tip over Connor Hammel’s thunderous strike.

James Scott headed over from the resulting corner, and Jason Blackburn volleyed wide minutes later as the visitors began to grow back into the game.

Hartley won his side a free-kick in a dangerous position cutting in from the left and Hazeldine stepped up and bent it around the wall but it rocketed back out off the upright to keep the scores level.

Hudson was denied in stoppage time as Stanley threw everything forward but could not find the decisive winning goal.