Max Hazeldine scored the only goal of the game to give Accrington Stanley youth bragging rights over local rivals Burnley youth.

Only two minutes were on the clock when Nathan Hudson put his body on the line to block Christian Hill’s shot.

Waqas Azam and Hill both fired efforts over the bar from acute angles as the visitors struggled to break through the solid Stanley back-line.

Hazeldine gave Burnley goalkeeper Conor Mitchell a scare when he closed down a short back-pass but the ‘keeper dealt with the danger just in time.

Ntumba Mussanka fired in a shot but it trickled wide of Kieran Wolland’s post as the visitors continued to press in search of the opening goal of the game.

Hudson slipped in Hazeldine on the 19th minute but he could only steer his shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Neat build-up play from Burnley ended in a cross landing at the feet of Mussanka two-yards out and Wolland did superbly to get his body behind the shot and hold on.

Hazeldine continued to cause problems when he picked up the ball inside his own half and drove at the penalty area before unleashing a thunderous effort towards the bottom corner which Mitchell did fantastically well to keep out.

Mussanka headed a tame effort wide of goal before crossing low for Hill at the back post, but the scrambling Wolland got across his line just in time to stop what looked like a certain goal.

On the 33rd minute Webb’s trickery down the left gave him half-a-yard to dig out a cross and it struck the arm of Callum Richardson giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Top-scorer Hazeldine stepped-up and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, but also dragged the shot wide of the post as the scoreline remained goalless.

Kevin Ly was the next to be denied by an inspired Wolland, and Hudson’s shot from 18-yards flew high and wide on the stroke of half-time.

Burnley came racing out of the traps in the second half; Mussannka headed wide and Wolland was off his line quickly to get down to the feet of Hill.

Captain Liam Goulding got his body in front of an Evan Galvans’ shot, before Galvan met Bradley Jacksons’ cross but he failed to keep his shot on target.

The defining moment came in the 62nd minute when Richardson sold Mitchell short with a back-pass and Hazeldine raced in to slide the ball in to the net from six-yards.

Moments later Azam danced around the Stanley defence and Wolland was at full stretch to make the save one handed and gobble up the rebound.

Stanley looked to kill the game off late on as Jack Hartley fired over the crossbar and Hazeldine’s free-kick clipped the top of the wall and looped on to the roof of the net.

Report by Mikael McKenzie